Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Beginnings

Bringing in the new year with close friends is one of the many blessings I have experienced in the past years. Even though I feel that the event of waiting for the new year is overrated, I enjoyed the time spent with friends of watching the famous event of the ball dropping which was missed this year with the clocks being off and the enjoyment of a delightful game of rook:)

I really had no intentions of writing something about the new year, until I finished a book by Karen Kingsbury called Sunrise. Throughout my college career I have been amazed and inspired by the series of books that she has written about the Baxter family. I feel like I know them as I have read about their struggles and temptations and how together as a family they have looked to God not only in their times of need, but also in their times of joy. I still can't believe how God used a fictional family to teach me lessons such as the power of prayer, the importance of family and friendships, never giving up hope, and especially how God's plan is SO much greater and better for me than I can even imagine. Perhaps the reason why I have been so emotionally touched is because the constant theme in every book is about God and His unfailing love, which I am always in need of a reminder. God's persistent love is found in every relationship, his faithfulness through each life problem, his encouragement that he brings with each supportive friend, and especially his plan for each person's life. As I reflect on the past year of my life I have seen incredible growth in many areas, but especially putting my FULL trust in God as he leads me to a new country without knowing anyone.

As I look to the new year I reflect on this quote "God's goodness is new every morning and his faithfulness continues through all generations". In this future year, I know God is going to challenge me, but also strengthen me to become a stronger and wiser person by his grace alone. And I can't wait to see what the future holds.

1 comment:

Jeff and Beth Gutierrez said...

You are continually in my prayers!